Thursday, August 24, 2017

"Summer's End"

I once thought Summer's end
Quite a cruel thing,
Robbing the fertile earth 
Of all the beauty brought by Spring.
I once found nothing tempting,
In the colors of fading life,
And yearly I would meet fall's slow ascent
With great bitterness and strife.
My soul strove against,
All that was not young and bright,
Little suspecting that it was,
My own peace that I did fight.
For lives, as well as leaves, turn,
And so I found did mine,
And discovered that the dropping bloom,
Does not hurt the vine. 
Now I love and cherish,
The rest from the madness of Spring,
And the gentleness and peace,
Late Summer and Autumn bring.
Things I didn't understand in youth,
Are beautiful in maturity,
And as the patient earth yields each year,
I find I am in good company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment